TxDMV issues an annual permit for the movement of newly manufactured homes that exceed Texas legal size limits from a manufacturing facility to a temporary storage location, not to exceed 20 miles from the point of manufacture.
This permit is an annual permit that expires one year from the effective date.
NOTE: You must verify the size and weight limits needed BEFORE seeking a special permit.
Operating Authority Requirements
During the permit application process, you must provide your USDOT Number or your licensing number issued by the Texas Department of Housing and Community Affairs (TDHCA). TxDMV will check the number against the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) system, MCMIS, for any out-of-service orders prior to permit issuance. The permit will be issued to the company name as it is listed for the USDOT Number.
You are responsible for routing and obtaining current restrictions prior to movement. Active time permit holders may use TxPROS to generate free routes for loads moving under their time permit.
How to Apply
You may also:
- Download the Application for Time Permits (Form 302) and submit by mail to the address listed on the application form.
- Call (800) 299-1700
Payment information must be provided with the permit application.
Fees & Payment Information
The permit fee is $1,500. Fees are payable by:
- MasterCard, VISA, Discover or American Express (a service charge of 25 cents per permit plus 2.25 percent will be added.)
- Automated Clearing House (ACH) – Electronic Check (only accepted when ordering online through TxPROS)
- Personal check, business check, cashier's check or money order, payable to the Texas Department of Motor Vehicles
- Cash (MUST be delivered to a TxDMV Regional Service Center)
A permit fee will not be refunded after the permit number has been issued unless such refund is necessary to correct an error made by the Motor Carrier Division.
- You must comply with escort and vehicle requirements applicable to the manufactured housing.
- You may not transport manufactured housing on the following holidays: New Year's Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day and Christmas Day.
- You must obtain a general single-trip permit to haul a stack of manufactured housing frames.
- Manufactured housing exceeding legal gross, axle or axle group weights must obtain a general single-trip permit.
- A permit may not be transferred between permittees.
- Review your permit for specific curfews and conditions that apply to your load and movement.
- A copy of the permit must be carried in the vehicle transporting a manufactured home.